Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, September 12, 2008

A Special Tree

The following story may sound gross to some of you, and my intentions are not to offend anyone if you have done this yourself.


The other day I went home for lunch, and my next door neighbor was out in his yard. So, we started talking and got on the topic of what all Matt and I have done to the yard as far as planting new things or digging things up. When we were talking about the backyard, he mentioned our small dogwood tree. I knew that the former owners had planted it when their daughter was born (who is now 2 and a half). But, he told me there was more to the story. They didn't just plant a tree, but they planted the placenta under the tree! I was completely stunned! I have never heard of this. My personal opinion is that it is disgusting and unsanitary. I'm fine with planting a tree in honor of your child, etc, etc, but don't put anything under it!



I decided to search for it on Google, and lo and behold there are how-to articles about bringing the placenta home and planting it. They call it a placenta tree. EEWWWW!



Have any of you ever heard of this? What are your thoughts? And again, I apologize if this offends any of you.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

That is so weird.

WanderingLili said...

OMG!!! That is SUPER YUCK!!! It sounds like the tree should be having little yuck blooms! YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

Anonymous said...

That is just plain weird! But hey, to each his/her/their own, I suppose...

Stephanie Miller said...

I had a science professor that put one of his child's placenta's in a jar to preserve it!! But I have never heard of planting one with a tree! To me the best part of the placenta was the baby, once it comes out, adios!!
At least your tree has an interesting story!

sanctifyingsarah said...

I found out one of the trees in our yard has Dixie buried under it. She was a dog that died several years ago. That was some info I would rather have not had but yours makes me feel a lot better.

Stephanie Sabbe said...

I'll be the hippie and say I think it's kind of neat. I probably wouldn't do it, but it's probably really good for the tree. Those things probably have alot of nutrients in them. This is coming from a person can hardly handle a dirty diaper without gagging when working the church nursery. I'm crossing my fingers my own kid won't make me gag. We'll see.

Sara W said...

i've never heard of this, but i'm not surprised people do it. i personally think it's disgusting. leave the placenta at the hospital and bring the baby home.