Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 20, 2009

C-Section is the Verdict

The baby is still breech. They have sent in a request to the scheduler to have a c-section scheduled for me at 39 weeks, which I will be 39 weeks next Wednesday. So, I'm assuming I will have a baby sometime later next week! (unless I go into labor on my own, in which case I have to immediately go to the hospital and have a c-section done). On the day of my c-section, they will do one more ultrasound just to make sure the baby hasn't turned. If the baby has turned, they will send me home and wait for me to go into labor on my own. I can feel the head pretty good, so I think I will know if the baby turns and whether or not to expect to be sent home.

They did give me the option of having the doctor physically turn the baby, called an external cephalic version. I read as much as I could about this procedure and found that it only has a 58% success rate, and the odds aren't good for a first time mom. So, since that seemed to be two major strikes against me, Matt and I decided the c-section would be the best route for us. I know that c-sections come with their own risks as well and the recovery from a c-section can be quite painful. But I'm at peace about this decision.

I will post again once I know the exact day of my c-section. I can't believe that I will get to hold my baby in a week! Yea!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

as a c-section mom- you will LOVE it! Yes, your abs hurt after the meds wear off, but going to the bathroom the first time- is a breeze compared to "real labor"! I promise- it was the best thing that happened to me!!! :) :) :) Can't wait to find out what little baby Nichols is!!!!

Amy Ogles said...

How exciting! You'll do great. Sleep a lot this week! : - )

Stephanie Sabbe said...

yay! can't wait!

The Shirley's said...

yay!!!! I will be saying prayers for you and your new little one.

Sara W said...

i'm getting so excited about the 'bebe' ! :) i've never had a child, but i've heard c-sections are not a big deal. my mom had three of them. ;) you'll do great either way. love and blessings being sent your way!

Stephanie Sabbe said...

hey! will you send me your address? and what is your new email. I've lost all contacts in the move:(

stephanie.sabbe@gmail.com

Sarah :) said...

Ok, so congratulations!!! I'm ready to see pictures of your little girl :) Guess, I'll atleast let you get home from the hospital!! Enjoy being a mama. :)

loui said...

Can't wait to hear you news. Think of you often. I need to get you email as well to add you to our blog. Ours is kaymloui@yahoo.com.
Our prayers and love to you for a healthy little one!